- 1-2 pounds beef, cut into strips (suggestion: flank steak or stir fry beef strips)
- For the marinade:
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the sauce:
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cold water + 1 1/2 Tbalespoons corn starch
- Optional: sliced green onions, sesame seeds.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Pour into a zip-lock back with beef strips, seal and chill 1 hour or overnight.
- Drain marinade from zip-lock and set beef aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine sauce ingredients. Stir and heat over medium high heat until brown sugar has dissolved. While sauce is cooking, whisk together corn starch and water in a small bowl until corn starch is dissolved. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and stir in corn starch-water mixture. Allow sauce to thicken slightly, then remove from heat.
- In a large pan or skillet pan or skillet, cook beef strips over medium high heat until cooked through (5-8 minutes) turning strips over throughout to ensure even cooking, reduce heat to medium. Add 1/2 – 1 cup sauce (depending on how “saucy” you want your beef). Stir and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve over rice with green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
*Note: This recipe makes a large batch of the sauce, more than you will need for your beef. You may half the recipe if you’d like, or we like to use the extra over rice.
*Note: substitute Amino Acid sauce for the Soy Sauce to make it gluten free.
~Recipe adapted from cremedelacrumb.com
Recipe for 2 adults , double if you’d like to serve for a family of 4-5.
- 2 Zucchinis
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms
- 4 Scallions
- 4 Carrots
- 2 Thumbs Ginger Root
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 Cups Jasmine Rice
- 10 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 TBSP Sesame Oil
- 4 tsp Sriracha
- 6 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- Prep. Wash and dry all produce. Halve zucchini lengthwise; slice into half moons. Trim and thinly slice mushrooms. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Peel carrots; use a peeler, shave lengthwise into ribbons. Peel and mince ginger. Mince garlic.
- Cook Rice. Bring rice and 1 1/4 cups salted water to boil in a small pot. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cook until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Pickle Scallions and Make Sauce. Toss scallions whites with vinegar and pinch of salt in a small bowl. Set aside to marinate. In another small bowl, stir together sesame oil, 1 1/2 TBSP sugar, up half the Siracha, and 1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce (we’ll use more of the Siriacha and soy sauce later).
- Cook Veggies. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat (use nonstick pan if you have it). Add carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until tender but still crisp, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add another drizzle of oil to pan and repeat with zucchini; remove from pan once cooked. Add mushrooms and another drizzle of oil to pan and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook Beef. Heat another drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef, breaking up meat into pieces. Cook, tossing occasionally, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and cook until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes. Pour in 1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce and cook, tossing, until mostly evaporated, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finish and Plate. Divide rice between bowls. Arrange beef, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, and scallions whites on top. Drizzle with sauce and remaining Sriracha (to taste). Sprinkle with scallions greens and serve. After severed, give everything a good toss in bowl to combine.
~Recipe by Hello Fresh