Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 55 min
2 Tbs butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
One 6-ounce slab country ham, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
salt and black pepper
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
One 22-ounce package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
3 green onions, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350°F. Add the butter to a large heavy skillet. Once foaming and melted, add garlic, ham, onions and some salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are tender and the ham is browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook until pasty, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and stock and stir until smooth. The mixture will begin to thicken as it comes to a simmer. Once thick, turn off the heat and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Add the hash browns and green onions and stir until well mixed. Add to a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until the top is golden and the potatoes are tender, 45 minutes.
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted, plus more for buttering the baking dish
- 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- For the sweet potatoes: Add 1 3/4 pounds peeled and cubed sweet potatoes to a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and cool. Mash the sweet potatoes.
- For the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Whisk together the butter, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- For the topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt in a medium bowl until moist and mixture clumps together. Stir in the pecans. Spread the mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes in an even layer. Bake until mostly set in the center and golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
~Recipe adapted from Food Network Kitchen