Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- For Shrimp Marinade:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/7 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- For the sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (5.5 oz) coconut milk
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- cooked rice for serving
- In a small bowl toss the shrimp with the marinade ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, heat the oil in a medium size pot. To it add the onion, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, pepper, salt, coriander, turmeric and curry powder.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes with juices and all, stir well and cook for about a minute after which add the coconut milk, stir and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp with the accumulated juices from the marinade and cook for another 5 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish with cilantro or parsley.
~recipe from jocooks.com