Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In 1 medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl use a wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow.
- Add the vanilla extract, melted butter, and milk to the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Combine the egg-milk mixture with the flour mixture and whisk just until blended. Do not over mix.
- In third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Do not overmix!
- Coat the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in iron to just cover waffle grid.
- Close and cook about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings! Or freeze in freezer bags.
~Recipe adapted from Some what simple