- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 whole limes, juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 whole zucchini, chopped
- 1 whole yellow squash, chopped
- 1 can corn
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt to sprinkle
- 1 can seasoned black beans (I used non seasoned and still had great flavor)
- 6 whole burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup grated cheese (ex. Monterey Jack or Cheddar)
- Optional toppings: salsa, sour cream, guacamole, extra cilantro, hot sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir around for 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and juice and zest of 1 lime. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the juice and zest from the remaining lime, then stir in the cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and bell peppers for 3 minutes. Add in squash and saute for additional 3 minutes. Add corn and black beans and saute until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. *I find it helps to add a damp paper towel on the top of the tortillas while warming in microwave.
- To assemble the burrito, lay out each tortilla on your work surface. Spoon on rice, then sprinkle on sauteed veggies. Top with chopped tomato, cheese, and any other topping you’d like. Tuck in the sides, then roll the burrito up as tightly as you can. Cut in half and chow down!
*If you substitute the chicken broth in the rice with vegetable broth it will be vegetarian!
~Recipe adapted from thepioneerwoman.com