- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces rotini noodles
- 4 Tablesppons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 ounces spicy Italian sausage removed from casings (2 to 3 links) *
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch pepperoncini**
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- Fresh grated Pecorino-Romano, for serving
- 8 to 10 basic leaves, torn
- Bring a shallow pot of water to boil and season heavily with salt. Add the pasta to the water and bring to boil.
- Meanwile, in a large saute pan, heat half of the olive oil over medium heat along with the sausage and cook, breaking apart the meat into smaller pieces, until browned. Add the garlic, pepperoncini and tomato paste. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes longer.
- Using a slotted spoon, strain the pasta and place directly into the mushroom mixture. Add about 1/2 cup pasta water and the white wine and bring to simmer. When the pasta begins to get coated and the sauce begins to thicken, add the Parmesan, butter and rosemary and turn off the heat. Stir the mixture intil thickened. If too thick, add a splash of pasta water. Season to taste. Divide among bowls and garnish with Pecorino-Romano and torn basil leaves.
~Recipe adapted from Geoffrey Zakarian
*I used Mild Italian sausage
**I omitted the pepperoncini chili flakes