- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (about one single serving cup)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Processes wet ingredients in a blender: applesauce, egg, vanilla, spinach, sugar and oil.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet spinach mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. You can use a spoon or spatula. The mixture will be very dense! On occasion, if it seems too dense, I’ll add a splash of milk to loosen it up, but the mixture should resemble a thick cookie dough. It won’t pour easily.
- Scoop the batter into greased muffin tins. This recipe will make 8-9 large muffins or 24 mini-muffins.
- Bake for 12 minutes for mini-muffins or 17 minutes for regular-sized muffins.
- Let them cool on a rack and enjoy!
~Recipe adapted from mamasaywhat.com