- 1 Yellow onion
- 2 cans Black Beans
- 2 cans Corn
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 tsp Veggie stock concentrate
- 2 Tbsp Southwest Blend (recipe for this below)
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 2 Limes
- Handful of Cilantro
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce
- Tortilla Chips
1. PREP: Wash and dry all produce. Halve, peel, and dice onion. Drain and rinse beans and corn, keeping them separate.
2. COOK RICE & BEANS: Melt 2 TBSP butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 4-5 minutes. Stir in rice, beans stock concentrate, and half the Southwest Spice (you’ll use the rest later). Add 1 1/2 cups water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
3. CHAR CORN: Meanwhile, dry corn throughly with paper towels, remove as much moisture as possible. Heat a large pan over high heat. Add corn and cook, stirring occasioanlly, until lightly charred, 3-5 minutes. (Tip: If corn begins to pop, cover pan.) Season with salt and pepper.
4. MAKE SALSA: While corn cooks, dice tomato. Zest and quarter lime. Finely chop cilantro leaves and stems. In a medium, bowl, combine corn, tomato, half the cilantro, reamining Southwest Spice, a pinch of lime zest, a large drizzle of olive oil, and a squeeze of lime juice to taste. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
5. MAKE CREMA: Ina small bowl, combine sour cream and as much remaining lime zest and juice as you like. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
6. FINISH & SERVE: Fluff rice mixture with a fork; season with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls and top with salsa, Monterey Jack, and remaining cilantro. Drizzle with crema and as much hot sauce as you like. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping and any remaining lime wedge on the side.
** For dairy free, I leave out the creme and cheese (you can use any cheese you like)
~ Recipe adapted from Hello Fresh
Southwest Blend Recipe:
- 4 part garlic powder
- 2 part cumin
- 2 part chili powder