Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 red cabbage, sliced 1/4″ thick
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 sweet apples, quartered and sliced thin
- 6 allspice berries, lightly crushed, wrapped in cheesecloth & tied
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses or cane syrup
- Melt butter in a deep sauté pan with a cover. Once the butters melted and the foams subsided, add the cabbage and stir to coat.
- Add salt & pepper, to taste, red onion, apple and allspice packet, cover the pan and lower the flame to low-medium, turning once in a while, until the cabbage is soft, but still slightly firm about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and deglaze with red wine, bring up flame and cook, uncovered, until the wine is reduced by at least half.
- Add the red wine vinegar reduce a little, add the molasses or cane syrup and toss to coat.
- Cook 2 to 3 more minutes, remove allspice packet, season with salt & pepper, to taste.
~Recipe via Guy Fieri on foodnetwork.com